about the history
The Dresden Transport Museum presents exhibits on the history of individual modes of transport on an area of 5000 square meters. The institution was opened in 1956. The museum is located in Johanneum, in the historic center of Dresden, on Neumarkt Square.
The history of the Dresden Transport Museum began on May 1, 1952 during the negotiations between the College of Transport and the Ministry of Transport on the construction of a traffic museum in the German Democratic Republic. It was originally planned to create a railway museum from the exhibits of the Saxon Railway, which have been stockpiled since the Second World War. Today, the museum exposition covers all industries related to transportation and, despite the expansion, barely fits in the Johanneum building. Part of the museum’s exposition has been moved to the premises of the historical commodity depot. Continue reading