Tourists note

Zwinger Palace
The authors of this architectural masterpiece are architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann and sculptor Balthasar Permoser. The ensemble of the Zwinger Palace consists of three galleries - a gross pavilion, a…

Continue reading →

Charlottenburg Castle
Charlottenburg Castle is the largest and most significant palace ensemble in Berlin. He was one of the favorite castles of seven generations of the rulers of these lands - first…

Continue reading →

Schloss nymphenburg
The Nymphenburg Palace (Schloss Nymphenburg) is located in Munich, the capital of Bavaria, in southern Germany. The reason for the construction of a luxurious summer residence was the long-awaited birth…

Continue reading →

Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister

The Dresden Art Gallery of the Old Masters (Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister) is one of the most significant museums in the world of fine art. It is located in the Sempler’s Gallery building of the Zwinger Palace Ensemble in Dresden, the capital of Saxony, in eastern Germany. Currently, the gallery of old masters is part of the State Art Collections of Dresden.

Most of the paintings that today make up the collection of the Dresden Art Gallery were acquired within a short period of time – fifty years. The collection was based on paintings by German and Dutch artists, collected by the Saxon electors of the Vettin dynasty.

In the 17th century, the elector of Saxony and the Polish king Augustus the Strong (1670–1733), and, to an even greater extent, his son, Augustus III (1696–1763), began to expand the painting collection systematically. The Saxon court and its capital Dresden, at the request of the rulers, were to stand in one row not only with neighboring Berlin, but also with Paris or Vienna. Through their agents throughout Europe, electors actively bought canvases of the great masters of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Continue reading

German Theater in Berlin

The German Opera in Berlin (Deutsche Oper Berlin) is an opera and ballet theater, the largest of the three existing in the German capital. The German opera is located in the Charlottenburg area.

The theater building was built in 1912 by the architect Heinrich Seelings on the initiative of citizens of the then independent city of Charlottenburg. In contrast to the Berlin Royal Opera, the Charlottenburg Theater, which was called the German Opera House (Deutsche Opernhaus), decided to fundamentally abandon pomp and representation lodges. The majestic classicist building housed 2,300 places.

Due to the similarity of the names, German opera is often confused with the Berlin State Opera (Deutsche Staatsoper), located on Unter den Linden. Moreover, the latter was often renamed – it was called the State Opera Unter den Linden (Die Staatsoper Unter den Linden), the Prussian State Opera (Preußische Staatsoper), and the Royal Court Opera (Königliche Hofoper). Continue reading

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The German Opera in Berlin (Deutsche Oper Berlin) is an opera and ballet theater, the largest of the three existing in the German capital. The German opera is located in the Charlottenburg area.

The theater building was built in 1912 by the architect Heinrich Seelings on the initiative of citizens of the then independent city of Charlottenburg. In contrast to the Berlin Royal Opera, the Charlottenburg Theater, which was called the German Opera House (Deutsche Opernhaus), decided to fundamentally abandon pomp and representation lodges. The majestic classicist building housed 2,300 places.

Due to the similarity of the names, German opera is often confused with the Berlin State Opera (Deutsche Staatsoper), located on Unter den Linden. Moreover, the latter was often renamed – it was called the State Opera Unter den Linden (Die Staatsoper Unter den Linden), the Prussian State Opera (Preußische Staatsoper), and the Royal Court Opera (Königliche Hofoper). Continue reading

Kreuzkirche church in Dresden

Kreuzkirche Church, located on Altmarkt Square in Dresden, in eastern Germany, is the city’s main evangelical church. Kreuzkirche is the largest church in Saxony, its building has a capacity of 3,000 seats.

The first Romanesque church building stood on this site at the end of the 12th century. It was the only temple of a young merchant settlement; it bore the name of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and merchant people. After the bride of Margrave Meissen Henry III of Austria, the Austrian Princess Constance von Babenberg donated to the church a relic of the Holy Cross (a piece of the cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified), the church of St. Nicholas was renamed the Church of the Holy Cross. From this name, over time, only the word “Cross” (German: “Kreuz”) has survived, so today the church is called – Kreuzkirche, literally – “church of the Cross”.

The history of this temple is very dramatic. Throughout its history, the Kreuzkirche building has undergone five times destruction, and each time it was rebuilt in a new look. Continue reading

German Cathedral in Berlin

The German Cathedral in Berlin (Deutscher Dom) is a church located in the German capital, in the Friedrichstadt district.

Together with the French Cathedral and the Concert Hall, the German Cathedral is part of the holistic architectural composition of the Gendarmenmarkt square, one of the most famous and beautiful sights in the historic center of Berlin.

If, being on Gendarmenmarkt Square, you look at the Konzerthaus of Berlin, the German Cathedral will be on the left and the French Cathedral on the right.

German Cathedral Architecture
The German Cathedral was built by Martin Grünberg in 1708. It was originally called the New Church (Neue Kirche). Together with the French Cathedral located opposite, the German Cathedral forms a pair similar to the twin churches in Piazza del Popolo in Rome. Continue reading

How to get there
You can get to Germany in every possible way, the most convenient of which is, of course, an airplane. However, depending on the city, there are other travel options to…

...

Berliner Gemäldegalerie
The Berlin Art Gallery (German: Berliner Gemäldegalerie) is one of Europe's leading art museums. The gallery is located in the building of the Cultural Forum, not far from Potsdamer Platz…

...

Michel's bell tower
The height of the bell tower "Michel", as the townspeople affectionately call the church, is 132 meters. On each of the four sides, the tower is decorated with watch dials,…

...

German Cathedral in Berlin
The German Cathedral in Berlin (Deutscher Dom) is a church located in the German capital, in the Friedrichstadt district. Together with the French Cathedral and the Concert Hall, the German…

...