The Nymphenburg Palace (Schloss Nymphenburg) is located in Munich, the capital of Bavaria, in southern Germany. The reason for the construction of a luxurious summer residence was the long-awaited birth of Henrietta Adelaide of Savoy, wife of Elector Ferdinand Maria Wittelsbach, son. The couple had been waiting for the heir to the throne with increasing concern for ten years. But there was no limit to the joy after the event in 1662.
Excursions with Russian guides: sightseeing, walking, beer tours. Tour of the castles of Munich and the surrounding area. Drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden, Nuremberg and Füssen.
The best guides and companies
The elector decided to lay the palace in the west of Munich, in the royal lands of Hemmarken (Kemnathen). In 1664, the court architect Augustine Barelli began construction. After 13 years, the “Palace of Entertainment Nymph Fortress” (“Lust Schloss Nymphenburg”) was ready. Initially, the castle really looked more like a fortress. A large cubic structure, farm buildings and a small geometrically broken park.
This is the heir, Max Emmanuel, the culprit of the then triumph, during his reign from 1680 to 1726 he built the palace and expanded the park ensemble to the sizes that we see today.
Nymphenburg Palace with an adjoining park and park locks is the largest palace ensembles in Europe. The length of the complex from north to south is 632 meters, which exceeds the size of Versailles.
Construction was led by another court architect, also Italian, Enrico Zucalli. At the beginning of the XVIII century, Emmanuel II was, however, not up to the palace. Moreover, during the Spanish Crown War, after losing in the battles of Munich, he was forced to flee Bavaria and spend 14 years in Paris. But after returning, Max Emmanuel considered it a matter of honor to erect a palace, no worse than the French Versailles.
The son of Emmanuel II, elector of Bavaria, Karl Albrecht (1726 bis 1745) and Kaiser Karl VII from 1742, was inspired by the idea of creating the city of Karl (Karlstadt) from Nymphenburg, and continued the expansion of the castle ensemble. Nymphenburg Palace and the rotunda were to make up the center of the town. Four more small castles were built in the park. Amalienburg became a favorite park palace of Charles VII, richly decorated in white and silver in the rococo style.
When the receiver of Kaiser Charles VII, Elector Max III was decorated in the rococo style of the main hall of the palace.
In addition, Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory got its current place under him. Max III added to the decorations of the park sculptures of the most important gods of Olympus.
Elector Karl Theodor, whose reign was during the French Revolution, allowed access to the park of the people, in order to avoid unnecessary unrest. After Bavaria became a kingdom at the beginning of the 19th century, King Max I rebuilds part of the rooms of the palace and renews the classicist style.
And after the death of the first king, Nymphenburg remained the beloved residence of the Bavarian kings.
In 1845, Ludwig II, the famous king of Bavaria, who became famous for the construction of the Neuschwanstein Palace, was born here. Today, 21 rooms are open for visiting in Nymphenburg Castle, among them a ceremonial stone hall decorated with paintings by Zimmermann, apartments of the northern outbuilding, the southern outbuilding with the famous gallery of beauties of King Ludwig I of 36 portraits of the artist Shtiler, apartments of the Elector Karl Theodor, the Queen’s chambers, the Chinese room with varnish coatings.
The collection of the Stable Museum, located in the former building of the royal stable, consists of royal and count carriages, sleighs of princes, stretchers for ladies, saddles and much more. The Museum of Nymphenburg Porcelain is located on the second floor of the Stables Museum.
Founded in 1743 by Elector Max III, porcelain manufactory lasted until the 20th century. The success of the Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory was the work of the master Franz Anton Bustelli. His porcelain figurines are today the main pride of the museum. In addition, the museum presents a collection of royal table porcelain, as well as a collection of unique art nouveau items.
Magdalenenklause was erected by order of Max Emmanuel. This brick one-story building was conceived by him as a place for prayer and solitude. One part is the chapel of Maria Magdalena, and the second houses very modest, monastery-style apartments. The Magdalenenclause was specially placed right in the middle of a densely overgrown forest to enhance the feeling of seclusion.