German Cathedral in Berlin
The German Cathedral in Berlin (Deutscher Dom) is a church located in the German capital, in the Friedrichstadt district. Together with the French Cathedral and the Concert Hall, the German…

Continue reading →

Unter den Linden
Unter den Linden is the most famous Berlin boulevard, several of the city’s most famous sights are concentrated here. It stretches for about one and a half kilometers in the…

Continue reading →

Germany
Germany is one of the largest European countries with an area of ​​357,385 km2. It borders in the north with Denmark, in the east with Poland and the Czech Republic,…

Continue reading →

New Museum in Berlin

The New Museum (Neues Museum) is a museum of antiquities in Berlin, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The building is located on the famous Museum Island, in the Mitte area.

The growing collection of the only museum on the island, the current Old Museum, already in the middle of the 19th century required a new building. The new museum became the second building built on Museum Island.

The museum building, built in 1855 by the design of Friedrich August Stüler, a student of the famous architect Karl Schinkel, is considered the most significant urban building in the style of late classicism. In addition, the New Museum today is an example of constructive and technical solutions for museum spaces – a spacious glass roof made it possible not only to visually expand the room, but also to maximize the illumination of exhibits. During the construction of the building, steel structures and a steam engine were first used.

New museum in Berlin on Google-panorama:

Immediately upon the opening of the New Museum, the Egyptian Assembly, the Domestic Collection, and the Ethnographic Collection were placed on the ground floor. On the second floor there was a collection of plaster casts from ancient Greek and Roman sculptures, a collection of Byzantine art, an engraving cabinet and the so-called “Kunstkamera” – a collection of architectural models, clay and glass vessels, objects of church art of the Middle Ages and modern times. From 1883 to 1887, another floor was added to the building, where plaster casts were moved. In 1939, the museum was closed, and collections were redistributed to other institutions.

During World War II, the New Museum was completely destroyed and lay in ruins for almost 70 years. Many exhibits were destroyed, seriously damaged or taken out as displaced art to the Soviet Union and the Western countries of the Allies (later the values ​​were returned). Only in 1986 began work on the restoration of the destroyed structure. In 2009, the grand opening of the New Museum took place.

In 2012, more than 700 thousand people attended the antiquities collections; it is the New Museum that is considered the most visited museum in Berlin.

New Museum Collections
Today, the New Museum consists of two main departments – the Egyptian Museum and the collection of papyri, the Museum of the prehistoric period and early history, as well as the ancient collection.

Egyptian Museum
The Egyptian Museum is the oldest department of the art collection of the Prussian kings. For the most part, his collection consists of artifacts discovered during his own excavations in Egypt – in the town of Tel el-Amarna (where the famous bust of Queen Nefertiti, the wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten was discovered), in the solar temple of the pharaoh Userkaf, and in the funeral temple of the pharaoh Sahura in Abusir.

The collection of the Egyptian Museum contains relief cycles from funerary temples and pyramids, colossal statues of pharaohs and gods, painted sarcophagi, as well as the so-called Fayum portraits.

The main exhibit of the Egyptian Museum is the bust of Queen Nefertiti, made in traditional technique and perfectly preserved to this day.

The extensive collection of papyri of the Egyptian Museum has several hundred ancient papyrus texts.

Excursions in Berlin
Excursions in Berlin with professional Russian guides. Sightseeing tours. Excursions to the Reichstag, to the museums of Berlin.

Museum of the prehistoric period and early history with a collection of antiquity
The Museum of Prehistoric Archeology, with more than 6,000 exhibits, offers visitors an extensive exhibition of archaeological finds from all over Europe and from parts of Asia from the Stone Age to the Middle Ages. They are complemented by the presentation of several collections of works of art from other archaeological collections of the Museum Island (collection of antiquity).

On the ground floor, visitors are greeted by the Odin, urns, looted art hall with historical frescoes according to Scandinavian mythology.

This is followed by halls with the famous collection of Trojan antiquities by Heinrich Schliemann and the cultural history of neighboring Cyprus, archeology of Roman provinces and Germanic tribes. The exhibits of the next hall span an extensive era from late antiquity to the beginning of the Christian West.

On the second floor you can see the stone age Neanderthal skull, the famous “Berlin Golden Hat” of the Bronze Age, as well as exhibits demonstrating the culture of the pre-Roman Iron Age. The inspection ends with an acquaintance with the training collection, which is stored in the style of the 19th century – the time when the museum was built.

Cologne Town Hall
The historic Cologne City Hall (Kölner Rathaus) is located in the old town of Cologne, in western Germany, in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. The first mention of the…

...

Frauenkirche
The official Frauenkirche, the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Der Dom zu unserer lieben Frau), is the main church in Munich, the capital of Bavaria, in southern Germany. This…

...

Berliner Gemäldegalerie
The Berlin Art Gallery (German: Berliner Gemäldegalerie) is one of Europe's leading art museums. The gallery is located in the building of the Cultural Forum, not far from Potsdamer Platz…

...

Unter den Linden
Unter den Linden is the most famous Berlin boulevard, several of the city’s most famous sights are concentrated here. It stretches for about one and a half kilometers in the…

...