The Brühl Terrace (Die Brühlsche Terrasse or Brühl-Terrasse) is the architectural ensemble of the historic promenade in Dresden, one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city.
The Bruhl Terrace, or Bruhl Terrace, is located in the center of the old town, on the banks of the Elbe River. The Bruhl Terrace is 500 meters long between the bridges of Augustus (Augustusbrücke) and Karol (Carolabrücke).
Today’s embankment architectural complex has historically been part of the fortifications erected around the city wall in the 16th century. In 1750, the then Prime Minister of Saxony, Heinrich von Brühl, commissioned the architect Johann Christoph Knöffe to design a palace and park complex on site for fortifications for his own needs. The so-called “Bruhl charms” (Brühlschen Herrlichkeiten) consisted of a gallery, a library, a Belvedere, a palace and a park. Numerous luxurious buildings were built in the late Baroque and Rococo style. So this section of the defensive structures lost its military significance, passing into the private possession of Count von Bruhl.
The terrace, around which all the buildings of Bruhl were concentrated, was a place for the promenade and entertainment of the king, the Saxon elite and other distinguished guests of Prime Minister Bruehl. Hence the name of the embankment – the Bruhl terrace. At one time, Goethe was so fascinated by the chic ensemble of the terrace that he called it the Balcony of Europe.
In 1813, during the Napoleonic Wars, Dresden was conquered by Russian troops and the Russian Emperor Alexander I was stationed in the Bruhl Palace, and later, in 1813-1814, Prince Nikolai Grigoryevich Repnin-Volkonsky, Governor-General of Saxony, was appointed. It was Repnin-Volkonsky who ordered to make the embankment accessible to the general public. To this end, the architect Brulee Terrace (Gottlob Friedrich Thormeyer) was completed with a wide staircase in just four months. In 1843 and 1890, the Bruhl Terrace was equipped with two more stairs from the side of Große Fischergasse and Georg-Treu-Platz. In 1860, under the Brule terrace, along the banks of the Elbe, the narrow Terrassenufer Street was laid.
At the end of the XIX century, almost all of Bruhl’s buildings were demolished, and new buildings were built in their place. So, today there is almost nothing left of the magnificent Bruhl Palace and the park, except for the name of this part of the embankment – the Brule Terrace.
During the Second World War, as a result of the bombing of Dresden, the Bruhl Terrace was almost completely destroyed; it took several decades to restore it. Today, Bruhl’s Terrace is a favorite vacation spot for both residents of Dresden and many tourists.
Attractions on the Bruhl Terrace
A walk along the promenade is also a wonderful sightseeing route, covering several Dresden attractions.
The main staircase of the Bruhl terrace is the same staircase that was built by order of the Russian Governor General of Saxony. It was originally decorated with two stone figures of lions.
In 1863, after reconstruction, four sculptures were erected on the stairs, symbolizing different times of the day – morning, day, evening and night, performed by the winning sculptor Johannes Schilling.
On the lower platform there are sculptural compositions representing the night and evening. On the left is a sculpture of a woman with a crescent moon in her forehead, bending over a sleeping young man, next to him is the winged god of dreams – Morpheus. This composition represents the night. On the right is a sculpture of the Evenings – this is a man with a star in his forehead, surrounded by two girls – Music and Dance. After daily worries, a person can relax and enjoy music and dancing.
On the upper part of the stairs to the left is a sculpture of a woman with a star in her forehead, surrounded by two girls – Awakening and Morning Dew. Awakening wears sandals, and morning dew is already watering the flowers. The last sculpture on the right is a graceful young man symbolizing the Day and two boys personifying Labor and Aspiration.
Museum Dresden Fortress (Festung Dresden)
At the place where the Bruhl Terrace is located today, an artillery battery has been located since the Middle Ages. In its underground premises, extending to a depth of 20 meters, the Dresden Fortress Museum is currently equipped.
The Dresden Fortress Museum is under restoration until 2019.
Information can be clarified on the official website
The history of the invention of the famous Meissen porcelain is partially connected with the casemates of the Dresden fortress.