build harmonious family
The German Opera in Berlin (Deutsche Oper Berlin) is an opera and ballet theater, the largest of the three existing in the German capital. The German opera is located in the Charlottenburg area.
The theater building was built in 1912 by the architect Heinrich Seelings on the initiative of citizens of the then independent city of Charlottenburg. In contrast to the Berlin Royal Opera, the Charlottenburg Theater, which was called the German Opera House (Deutsche Opernhaus), decided to fundamentally abandon pomp and representation lodges. The majestic classicist building housed 2,300 places.
Due to the similarity of the names, German opera is often confused with the Berlin State Opera (Deutsche Staatsoper), located on Unter den Linden. Moreover, the latter was often renamed – it was called the State Opera Unter den Linden (Die Staatsoper Unter den Linden), the Prussian State Opera (Preußische Staatsoper), and the Royal Court Opera (Königliche Hofoper). Continue reading
The German Cathedral in Berlin (Deutscher Dom) is a church located in the German capital, in the Friedrichstadt district.
Together with the French Cathedral and the Concert Hall, the German Cathedral is part of the holistic architectural composition of the Gendarmenmarkt square, one of the most famous and beautiful sights in the historic center of Berlin.
If, being on Gendarmenmarkt Square, you look at the Konzerthaus of Berlin, the German Cathedral will be on the left and the French Cathedral on the right.
German Cathedral Architecture
The German Cathedral was built by Martin Grünberg in 1708. It was originally called the New Church (Neue Kirche). Together with the French Cathedral located opposite, the German Cathedral forms a pair similar to the twin churches in Piazza del Popolo in Rome. Continue reading
Charlottenburg Castle is the largest and most significant palace ensemble in Berlin. He was one of the favorite castles of seven generations of the rulers of these lands – first the Brandenburg Electors, then the Prussian kings and the German Kaisers of the Hohenzollern. Each generation added something new to the decoration of the castle, expanding and building up both it and the adjacent park.
The construction of Lutzeburg Castle (as Charlottenburg was originally called) began in 1695, in the then village of Lützow, seven kilometers from Berlin, as the summer residence of the Fürrich Iurie and his wife Sophia Charlotte of Braunschweig and Luneburg. The young wife of Frederick came from the rich and noble kingdom of Hanover, and even claimed to be the bride of the son of the French king Louis XIV. Continue reading