coherence in everything
Charlottenburg Castle is the largest and most significant palace ensemble in Berlin. He was one of the favorite castles of seven generations of the rulers of these lands – first the Brandenburg Electors, then the Prussian kings and the German Kaisers of the Hohenzollern. Each generation added something new to the decoration of the castle, expanding and building up both it and the adjacent park.
The construction of Lutzeburg Castle (as Charlottenburg was originally called) began in 1695, in the then village of Lützow, seven kilometers from Berlin, as the summer residence of the Fürrich Iurie and his wife Sophia Charlotte of Braunschweig and Luneburg. The young wife of Frederick came from the rich and noble kingdom of Hanover, and even claimed to be the bride of the son of the French king Louis XIV. Continue reading
The authors of this architectural masterpiece are architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann and sculptor Balthasar Permoser.
The ensemble of the Zwinger Palace consists of three galleries – a gross pavilion, a bell pavilion and a gallery with Crown Gates, interconnected by four corner pavilions and symmetrical park lawns and fountains in the center of the courtyard. From the north, the composition is closed by the Semper Gallery.
Strict lines of galleries complement the richly decorated pavilions and arches. There are sculptures everywhere, floral ornaments replaced by decorative niches, intertwined images of animals and fantastic images. Continue reading
The Victory Column was erected as a symbol of triumph in the unifying Prussian wars against Denmark, Austria, and then France in the second half of the 19th century. The author of the project was the architect Heinrich Strack (Heinrich Strack).
The official opening ceremony of the Victory Column took place in 1873, while it was exactly timed to coincide with the third anniversary of the victory in the battle of the French Sedan, September 2. The opening ceremony was attended personally by Kaiser Wilhelm I and Otto von Bismarck.
The Victory Column was mounted on a pedestal made of red granite, initially it consisted of three parts, and instead of decorations, gilded trophy guns crowned with gilded laurel wreaths were used: Danish on the lower, Austrian on the middle, and French on the top. Continue reading