cultural history of neighboring
The Brühl Terrace (Die Brühlsche Terrasse or Brühl-Terrasse) is the architectural ensemble of the historic promenade in Dresden, one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city.
The Bruhl Terrace, or Bruhl Terrace, is located in the center of the old town, on the banks of the Elbe River. The Bruhl Terrace is 500 meters long between the bridges of Augustus (Augustusbrücke) and Karol (Carolabrücke).
Today’s embankment architectural complex has historically been part of the fortifications erected around the city wall in the 16th century. In 1750, the then Prime Minister of Saxony, Heinrich von Brühl, commissioned the architect Johann Christoph Knöffe to design a palace and park complex on site for fortifications for his own needs. The so-called “Bruhl charms” (Brühlschen Herrlichkeiten) consisted of a gallery, a library, a Belvedere, a palace and a park. Numerous luxurious buildings were built in the late Baroque and Rococo style. So this section of the defensive structures lost its military significance, passing into the private possession of Count von Bruhl. Continue reading
The New Museum (Neues Museum) is a museum of antiquities in Berlin, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The building is located on the famous Museum Island, in the Mitte area.
The growing collection of the only museum on the island, the current Old Museum, already in the middle of the 19th century required a new building. The new museum became the second building built on Museum Island.
The museum building, built in 1855 by the design of Friedrich August Stüler, a student of the famous architect Karl Schinkel, is considered the most significant urban building in the style of late classicism. In addition, the New Museum today is an example of constructive and technical solutions for museum spaces – a spacious glass roof made it possible not only to visually expand the room, but also to maximize the illumination of exhibits. Continue reading