two stone figures
The Brühl Terrace (Die Brühlsche Terrasse or Brühl-Terrasse) is the architectural ensemble of the historic promenade in Dresden, one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city.
The Bruhl Terrace, or Bruhl Terrace, is located in the center of the old town, on the banks of the Elbe River. The Bruhl Terrace is 500 meters long between the bridges of Augustus (Augustusbrücke) and Karol (Carolabrücke).
Today’s embankment architectural complex has historically been part of the fortifications erected around the city wall in the 16th century. In 1750, the then Prime Minister of Saxony, Heinrich von Brühl, commissioned the architect Johann Christoph Knöffe to design a palace and park complex on site for fortifications for his own needs. The so-called “Bruhl charms” (Brühlschen Herrlichkeiten) consisted of a gallery, a library, a Belvedere, a palace and a park. Numerous luxurious buildings were built in the late Baroque and Rococo style. So this section of the defensive structures lost its military significance, passing into the private possession of Count von Bruhl. Continue reading